If you are the client, it’s easy: “You are fired. Here’s a check for what I owe you. Give me my file.”
If you are the lawyer, it’s a little more difficult.
• do it in writing, FedEx or Certified, Return receipt requested
• use a neutral reason like “I can no longer meet my ethical obligation to zealously represent you.”
• prepare a letter for the client to sign terminating the relationship
• have the client sign the letter
• file papers with the Court withdrawing from the case and attaching the signed letter from the client;
• wait for the court to agree.
• return any unearned money from your trust account, if there is none send a final bill (and pray it gets paid) and
• turn over the file to the client after getting a receipt.