Not too long ago a few attorneys and I got together and created the following list of mistakes Do It Yourselfers make.
1. Not doing a name check or reservation (website is not real time)
2. No organizational meeting & minutes
3. Not keeping up with annual meeting minutes and resolutions
4. Not filing 25102(f) securities exemption (when necessary)
5. Not filing Statement of Information on a timely basis (very minor filing, very major consequences)
6. Not maintaining active corporate statute
7. No treating the Company as a separate entity (commingling funds, etc.)
8. Never issuing stock certificates (much less making the appropriate filings).
9. Borrowing money from shareholders without issuing a promissory note or drafting appropriate corporate resolutions.
10. Not assigning intangible assets to the entity.